Ancient Desenzano was surrounded by walls that, although they were not powerful fortifications, delimited the town, which was accessed through three doors. The gate of S. Maria, towards Verona, the Portone delle Rive, also called of S. Benedetto, towards Salò, and the gate of the castle, or of S. Giovanni, towards Brescia. Outside the latter (which was located at the current intersection between Via Garibaldi and Via Gherla) on the road directed by S. Marco, where there was a sharp turn, near the junction with the road to Castiglione (for Brescia along the current Viale Andreis) the community built a small shrine dedicated to the Blessed Virgin of the Seven Sorrows.
Solemn Blessing: 22nd December 1754
In 1789 the Venetian Senate ordered the maintenance of the postal roads, also involving this capital. The inscription, still visible, refers to this operation of transport of the fresco:
"Here prostrate, passer-by, Venerate our sorrowful mother whose devout image was admirably transported by the primitive sacellum"